Can I still owe money after I have been discharged from bankruptcy?
Question & AnswerCan I still owe money after I have been discharged from bankruptcy?
There are some that you still have to pay even if you file for . For example:
- secured debts you have for you plan to keep
- government student loans, if you have been out of school for less than 7 years
- child and spousal support payments
- fines and court penalties
- debts that are the result of a crime
These debts survive your bankruptcy. Your will tell you what debts you will still owe after bankruptcy.
Usually, after your bankruptcy is discharged, you don’t owe your creditors money anymore. But a might still ask you to pay them back after the . It’s a good idea to ask your trustee if you are supposed to pay that creditor. If you don’t have to pay, the trustee will tell the creditor to stop contacting you.