Can I travel with my child after I separate or divorce?

As of March 1, 2021, the term  has changed to . And in most situations, the term  has changed to . Now, all parents usually have parenting time.

Also, a person who isn't a parent or step-parent may get a to spend time with a child. For example a grandparent can get this order.

It's hard to know what you may be asked when travelling to another country. Officials in Canada or in the other country you are going to can ask you for documents to prove you can travel with your child. These officials can decide whether to let you in or out of the country.

To avoid delays or being refused entry or exit at the border, it's safest to have a travel consent letter signed by the other parent.

Even if you have all the decision-making responsibility, you may be required to show that you have permission from your partner who has parenting time, to travel with your child. Decision-making responsibility and parenting time used to be called custody and access.

The only time you can travel freely with your child is if you have a , or that says you don't need your partner's permission to travel with your child. It's important to carry a copy of your agreement or court order with you to prove that you don't need anyone's permission.

You should check your agreement or court order to see if you need the other parent's permission and if you need to provide the other parent with information about your travel plans, such as your flight details and emergency contact numbers.

If your partner won't agree to let you travel with your child, you may have to go to court and ask for permission to travel.

Hide this website