Can I travel with my child after I separate or divorce?

2. Get a travel consent letter

It's a good idea to get a travel consent letter from your partner that says they agree to let you travel with your child.

Canada doesn't have a law that says you have to carry a travel consent letter if you're travelling with your child. But when entering or leaving a foreign country you may be asked for one by immigration authorities, airline agents, or Canadian officials when re-entering Canada. If you don't have a letter, your travel may be delayed and you may not get permission to enter or leave a country.

The Government of Canada also strongly recommends that all children traveling with one parent, another family member, friends, or a group, carry a travel consent letter. A sample travel consent letter is available on its website.

There are no rules about what the letter should say. But it should be as detailed as possible. Include information like:

  • your child's full name
  • your child's passport number
  • your child's date of birth
  • your travel dates
  • the places you are going to
  • your contact information while traveling
  • your full name
  • your passport number
  • your relationship to the child
  • your partner's full name
  • your partner's contact information

It's best to get your partner to sign this letter in front of a notary public, but you don't have to. A notary public is a person who is able to verify a person's signature on a document.

Hide this website