What are my rights when getting developmental services and supports?

The rules about developmental services and supports are set out in a law called the Services and Supports to Promote the Social Inclusion of Persons with Developmental Disabilities Act. This law is sometimes called the Social Inclusion Act.

You also have rights under Ontario’s human rights law and other laws. Although these other laws do not talk about getting developmental services and supports, they do give you rights that affect your access to these services.

Human Rights laws

Ontario's human rights laws usually cover employers, landlords, unions, and service providers such as schools, hospitals, government and developmental services. The law says that you cannot be treated unfairly because of personal characteristics such as:

  • your race, colour, ancestry, ethnic origin, citizenship, or where you were born
  • your religious beliefs
  • a physical or mental disability, including an addiction
  • having children, planning to have children, or being pregnant
  • your marital status (whether you are married, divorced, single, or living common-law)
  • your sex or gender
  • your sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression
  • your age if you are at least 18
  • being convicted of a crime if you have a pardon or record suspension

The law says that employers, landlords, unions, and service providers sometimes have to do things differently for you so that you are treated equally. This is called .

Get legal help

You can call ARCH Disability Law Centre for help. ARCH is a legal clinic and its services are free to people with disabilities. Usually, ARCH helps people with low income or who get social assistance.

Hide this website