Police took my things during a search. Can I get them back?
Question & AnswerPolice took my things during a search. Can I get them back?
1. Keep records of any property the police take
The police are supposed to keep track of every item they take from you. You should also write down all of the items that the police have taken or seized. The property will only be returned to you if you're the legal owner. In order to get your property back, you must prove that it belongs to you. Bring proof when you go to collect your property or are told you can have it back.
If possible, take a photo of the property before the police take it from you. Keep any receipts that prove that you own the item.
As soon as possible, write down information about:
- what the item is and the quantity
- the estimated value of the item
- a description of the item including anything special, such as colours or marks
- serial numbers if you have them