4. Complain to the Ministry of Public and Business Service Delivery

Try these tools:

Use this tool to write a letter to a business to complain about a product or service.

Use this letter-writing tool to complain about a product or service.

If you have a problem that you are not able to work out with a seller, you can file a complaint with the Ministry of Public and Business Service Delivery.

The Ministry has a complaint form that you can fill out and email. You can also print and mail it. To contact the Ministry:

Toll-free 1-800-889-9768

Toronto area 416-326-8800

TTY Toll-free 1-877-666-6545

TTY Toronto area 416-229-6086

Website www.ontario.ca/mcs

Email consumer@ontario.ca

Mailing Address:

Ministry of Public and Business Service Delivery
Consumer Services Operations Division
P.O. Box 450
Toronto, ON, M7A 2J6

You have to include information about:

  • whether you sent a complaint letter to the seller (if you did, attach a copy)
  • whether you have documents that prove your claim, like receipts, invoices, contracts, or other important documents
  • your complaint
  • details about the seller
  • what you want the seller to do
  • your contact information

The Ministry will review your complaint. They may:

  • refer you to an organization or government office that might be better able to help you
  • help you and the business reach an agreement through
  • educate you and the business about the rules and laws that must be followed
  • make a compliance order that tells the business to stop giving out materials that are not true, or to correct the information in the materials
  • investigate your complaint
  • take the business to court
  • add the business to the Consumer Beware list
  • suggest that you sue the business in small claims court

The steps the Ministry takes depends on the facts and evidence in your case.

Hide this website