5. Get legal help

Try these tools:

Use this tool to write a letter to a business to complain about a product or service.

Use this letter-writing tool to complain about a product or service.

If you did not repay your  in time, the payday lender can also sue you in Small Claims Court. If the lender wins in court, the court might allow them to take some of your money or property. The court may also allow the lender to take money directly from your paycheque. This is called garnishing your wages.

The lender can also ask the court to make you pay their reasonable legal costs, for example, court filing fees. If the court agrees, you might owe the lender more money.

You do not need to hire a lawyer or paralegal to go to . You're allowed to represent yourself. But it's a good idea to get legal help. Some of the places to look for a lawyer or paralegal are:

Law Society Referral Service

The Law Society of Ontario has a Law Society Referral Service. This online service gives you the name of a lawyer or paralegal in your area who can talk to you for up to 30 minutes for free. You can ask for a professional who speaks your language.


JusticeNet is a not-for-profit organization that can help people find legal services when their income is too high for legal aid and too low to afford legal fees. Their website has a list of lawyers, paralegals, and mediators who charge reduced fees based on your income and the size of your family. You must register and pay a small fee to use their services.

Pro Bono Ontario

Pro Bono Ontario has a free legal advice hotline at 1-855-255-7256. You can get up to 30 minutes of free legal advice.

Hide this website