I have a problem with something I bought from a door-to-door salesperson. What can I do?
Question & AnswerI have a problem with something I bought from a door-to-door salesperson. What can I do?
Write a letter to the seller about the problem
First, write to the seller about the problem you are having with the product or service you bought.
In your letter, include:
- your name and address
- the date
- the name of the company and their address
- the date of your contract or the date that you bought the product or service
You should give clear, specific, and detailed information about:
- what the problem is
- when the problem started
- if you have tried to fix the problem (for example, taking the product to a repair shop)
- how you want the seller to fix the problem (for example, a refund or a repair)
- the specific date by which you want a response
Be sure to sign and date your letter. Include copies of receipts, invoices, contracts, or other relevant documents. Keep the originals for yourself.
It is best to send a letter by registered mail. You should keep a copy of the letter for yourself and your registered mail receipt. This way you have proof that the seller got your letter and what it said.
Keep detailed notes of everything you and the seller talk about. These notes can be used as evidence. The more evidence you have, the easier it will be to prove your case.
Evidence can include:
- phone records
- letters and notes
- contracts or agreements
- photos or videos