Can I be punished for complaining about safety issues at work?

Get legal help

If you don't have a , you should try to get legal advice.

A lawyer with experience in employment law can help by giving you advice about:

  • whether your employer has punished you for making a safety complaint
  • whether you should make an application to the Ontario Labour Relations Board (OLRB)
  • what other rights you may have

A lawyer can also help you to talk to your employer so they can make things right before you take other steps like going to the OLRB.

The Law Society Referral Service can give you the name of a lawyer or paralegal you can consult with for free, for up to 30 minutes.

JusticeNet is a program for Canadians with low or moderate incomes. It connects people with lawyers and paralegals who charge lower legal fees based on your income.

You could also contact the Workers’ Health & Safety Legal Clinic, which helps people with low incomes who are having health and safety problems at work.

You can also contact the Office of the Worker Adviser at 1-855-659-7744.

Hide this website