Talk to someone in your workplace

If you think someone in your workplace is going to hurt you or somebody else, tell your supervisor or your employer. The law says that they have to protect you from violence at work.

Your workplace violence policy might have guidelines about what to do if you're in danger. Your employer must follow the policy, even if the person causing trouble is a customer or a client.

If you have a health and safety representative or a Joint Health and Safety Committee, you should talk to them. They can:

  • give you information about health and safety issues in your workplace
  • listen to your ideas for changes in the workplace and pass them on to your employer
  • help you deal with problems related to violence in your workplace or help you to work with an inspector from the Ministry of Labour

If you have a or trade association, you should also talk to them if there's violence or a safety problem in your workplace.

Hide this website