I’ve been fired. Does my employer have to give me a reason?

Try to get legal advice

If you think your employer has fired you for a reason that's against the law, you should get legal advice.

A lawyer with experience in employment law can help by giving you advice about:

  • what your rights are
  • what you should do to protect your rights
  • whether you should take legal action against your employer and how to do this

The Law Society Referral Service can give you the name of a lawyer or paralegal you can consult with for free, for up to 30 minutes.

JusticeNet is a program for Canadians with low or moderate incomes. It connects people with lawyers and paralegals who charge lower legal fees based on your income.

There are community legal clinics across Ontario that provide free legal services to people with low incomes. Some clinics help people with work-related problems. And if a clinic can't help you, they may be able to refer you to someone in your community who can.

Hide this website