What is an urgent motion with notice in family law and what happens at one?

4. Prepare for your court date

Review your partner’s documents

Your partner must you with a copy of their documents at least 4 days before the date of your .

They have to give you their Form 14A: Affidavit, where they tell the court why they agree or don't agree with the orders you're asking for and their evidence.

They may also give you:

You should read these documents carefully. Make sure you understand what your partner is asking for.

If your partner asks for new things that are not in your court forms, you don't have to respond to them. If you don't, it means you don't agree with what your partner has said.

But, if you want to reply to their new claims with your facts and evidence, you fill out Form 14A: Affidavit. If you reply, you must serve and your reply 3 days before your motion.

Confirm your court date

You and your partner must tell the court that you will be at your hearing and that you're ready to go ahead.

You each do this by filling out a Form 14C: Confirmation. Write down the amount of time you think you'll need at court, the specific issues that will be discussed, and the documents the judge should read.

Give your partner a copy of the form before you give it to the court.

You must then file the form with the court. Do this no later than 2:00 p.m. at least 3 days before your hearing date. If you miss this deadline, the hearing may not be held and you will have to get a new date. You can file the form in person at the courthouse or by email through the Justice Services Online website. It can no longer be filed by fax.


Hide this website