How can I get my landlord to use the standard lease form?
Question & AnswerHow can I get my landlord to use the standard lease form?
1. Check if your landlord is supposed to use a standard lease
Most landlords have to use the standard lease for rental agreements that are signed on or after April 30, 2018. This rule applies to most rooms, houses, apartments, and condominiums that you rent. But it does not apply to:
- places rented for a business
- public or subsidized housing
- mobile homes or land lease homes
- housing co-ops
- care homes, for example, retirement homes
Both the tenant and landlord must sign the lease no later than the day the tenant is supposed to move in.
And the landlord must give the tenant a copy within 21 days after the tenant signs it and gives it to the landlord.