I’m an independent contractor with a disability. Do I have rights at work?

5. Learn more about making a human rights claim

If you think the company or organization you work for has discriminated against you, you can apply to the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario. The Human Rights Legal Support Centre or a community legal clinic can also help you to make a claim to the .

The Tribunal can decide if you experienced . It is important to understand the steps in making a claim to the Tribunal.

You can also learn more about starting a claim in How to complete an Application form to the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario.

What the tribunal can do

If the Tribunal decides that you were discriminated against, they can order the company or organization you work for to:

  • pay you money to make up for the discrimination
  • give you the you need
  • change its practices so they follow human rights laws

The Tribunal can also order the workplace to pay you you lost because of the discrimination. Sometimes the Tribunal will order the workplace to give you your job back, but this does not happen often.

You can ask for money to cover costs that you have or replace money that you were forced to spend because of what the workplace did.

You can also ask for money because of how the workplace's actions affected you. The Tribunal can order them to pay you money for the hurt they caused you. You don't have to show that their actions cost you money.

Time limits

The deadline to apply to the Tribunal is one year from the date you were discriminated against.

If you miss the deadline, you can still apply. But, in your , you must explain why you're applying late. If you have a good reason, such as you were in the hospital, the Tribunal might, in rare cases, decide to let you apply late.

Hide this website