2. Start your appeal to the IAD

If your sponsorship application was refused by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), you may be able to appeal to the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD) of the (IRB).

A sponsorship appeal can be complicated. You may want to get legal help.

Filling out the Notice of Appeal form

To start a sponsorship appeal, you fill out the Notice of Appeal – Sponsorship Appeal form.

You must give it to the IAD office, along with a copy of the letter from IRCC refusing the sponsorship application. The deadline to do this is 30 days from when you get the refusal letter. If you miss the deadline, you can ask the IAD to give you more time. Get legal advice about what you need to show the IAD to get an extension of time.

After you start your appeal

You get a copy of what's called the Appeal Record from IRCC. It includes IRCC's reasons for the refusal.

The IAD may contact you and ask for more information about your appeal.

Make sure you tell them if your contact information changes after you start your appeal. For example, this includes changes like where you live and your email address.

If they cannot reach you or you don't respond when they do, they can decide that you don't want to continue your appeal. This means that it will not go ahead. And they'll dismiss your appeal.

Scheduling your hearing

If you have a lawyer, paralegal, or registered consultant representing you, the IAD contacts them to set a date for your appeal hearing.

Otherwise, you get a Notice to Appear that lists a date and time for a meeting that's called a scheduling conference. At this meeting, staff from the IAD explain the appeal process and set a date and time for your hearing.

If you need to change the date or time for your hearing, you must ask in writing and follow the rules for doing this. The IAD will not agree to the change unless you have a very good reason.

Hide this website