3. Complete the online application
Question & AnswerHow do I sponsor my child or my spouse or partner’s child?
Starting September 23, 2022, you must use the online Permanent Residence Portal to submit your sponsorship application.
If you can't apply online, and require accommodations, including for a disability, contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to ask for the application in another format. For example, you could ask for an application that is on paper, braille, or large print.
To do this, send an email to IRCC.PRPortalALTRequest-DemandeALTPortailRP.IRCC@cic.gc.ca.
In the subject line of the email include:
- the format you need, for example paper, braille, or large print, and
- the sponsorship application package you want
In the body of the email include:
- your full name as shown on your passport
- your or partner's full name
- why you're asking for an alternate format
- if you want the application in English or French
- your email address if you want the application to be sent by email
- your mailing address if you want the application to be sent by mail
IRCC will review your request and send you instructions about how to apply. To submit your application:
- fill out and sign any paper forms
- include a copy of the approval letter or email from IRCC by placing it on top of your application package
- return the application by mail or courier to the mailing address given in the instructions
For more information, call 1-888-242-2100.
Pay the fees
If you're sponsoring a spouse or partner and your application includes a , the fee for the child is $150. If the child is not included with a spouse or partner, the child is what IRCC calls the “principal applicant”. The fee for the child is still $150.
There is also a biometrics fee of $85. If you're sponsoring a spouse or partner with a child or children, the maximum fee is $170. This applies to a family of 2 or more people applying at the same time and place.
If you sponsor a dependent child on their own, they also have to pay $515 as a right of permanent residence fee. You can wait to pay this fee until the application is approved. But if you do this, it might take longer for the child to arrive in Canada. If you pay the fee when you apply, IRCC gives the money back to you if they refuse the application.
Pay your fees online using a credit card or a Canadian debit card. You need to give IRCC an email address so they can email you a receipt.
Submit your application
Before you submit your application, make sure you:
- answer all questions
- electronically sign your application with your full name exactly as shown on your passport
- include your processing fee receipt
- upload all the documents that are on the checklist in your application package.