5. Get legal help if you need it

Beware of scams

People have been getting phone calls with a pre-recorded message telling them their Ontario Works account has been deleted.

This is a scam to trick you into sharing your personal information. If you get a call like that, hang up the phone. You can report these calls to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501.

You might need to get legal help to get or if you have a problem with Ontario Works (OW).

Help getting spousal support

You may want to start by getting more information.

There's a Family Law Information Centre (FLIC) in every courthouse that deals with family law.

All FLICs have free pamphlets. Many FLICs have staff who can give you information and refer you to community agencies and legal services.

And advice lawyers from Legal Aid Ontario are at FLICs at certain times to answer questions, give legal advice, and review legal documents. Contact your local FLIC to find out when a lawyer will be there.

There are many other services to help people who can't afford a lawyer and need help with a family law problem.

Read more about services you might be able to use in I can’t afford a lawyer. Where else can I find legal help?

Help if you have a problem with OW

If you have a problem with OW, you may want to get help to understand your rights and act on them.

And if you disagree with a decision that OW makes, it's important to get help as soon as possible.

There may be things you can do. For example, you may be able to to the .

And if OW says that you have to pay back assistance and you don't agree, you may want to contact a community legal clinic.

Hide this website