special service

To serve a document by special service means you have to give a copy of that document to your partner by either:

  • getting someone like a family member, friend, or process server to give the copy to your partner in person
  • giving the copy directly to your partner’s lawyer
  • giving the copy to an adult living at the same home as your partner and also mailing a copy of the document your partner’s address within one day
  • mail

There are rules about how to serve a document by special service that depend on how you serve the document. For example, you can mail the document but your partner must mail you back a special form to say that they received your document.

Some documents, such as documents that start a court case, must be served by special service. Most documents can be served by regular service.

Hide this website