3. Complete the online application
Question & AnswerHow do I sponsor my spouse or partner if they’re living in Canada?
Starting September 23, 2022, you must use the online Permanent Residence Portal to submit your sponsorship application.
If you can't apply online, and require accommodations, including for a disability, contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to ask for the application in another format. For example, you could ask for an application that is on paper, braille, or large print.
To do this, send an email to IRCC.PRPortalALTRequest-DemandeALTPortailRP.IRCC@cic.gc.ca.
In the subject line of the email include:
- the format you need, for example paper, braille, or large print, and
- the sponsorship application package you want
In the body of the email include:
- your full name as shown on your passport
- your or partner's full name
- why you're asking for an alternate format
- if you want the application in English or French
- your email address if you want the application to be sent by email
- your mailing address if you want the application to be sent by mail
IRCC will review your request and send you instructions about how to apply. To submit your application:
- fill out and sign any paper forms
- include a copy of the approval letter or email from IRCC by placing it on top of your application package
- return the application by mail or courier to the mailing address given in the instructions
For more information, call 1-888-242-2100.
Pay the fees
You must pay processing fees. If you're sponsoring only your spouse or partner, you must pay:
- $75 as a sponsorship fee
- $475 as a permanent residence application fee
- $85 as a biometrics fee
- $255 as an open work permit fee
If your spouse or partner has temporary status in Canada, they can apply and pay for an open work permit with the spousal sponsorship. For example, they can do this if they have a student or work permit.
Draft a work permit application
Use this tool to fill out the draft forms you need to apply for an open work permit from within Canada.
You also must pay $515 as a right of permanent residence fee.
You can pay this fee after IRCC approves your application. If you pay it when you apply and IRCC refuses your application, they'll give you back the money.
Pay your fees online using a credit card or a Canadian debit card. You need to give IRCC an email address so they can email you a receipt.
Submit your application
Before you submit your application, make sure you:
- answer all questions
- electronically sign your application with your full name exactly as shown on your passport
- include your processing fee receipt
- upload all the documents that are on the checklist in your application package.