4. Get a response

You can check processing times here.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will return your application if it's not complete or if you haven't paid your processing fees.

If your application is being processed, IRCC will:

  • send you an application number and acknowledgment of receipt
  • decide if you're eligible to be a sponsor
  • decide if your or partner is eligible for permanent residence

You’re not eligible to be a sponsor

If IRCC refuses you as a sponsor, you can choose to have them continue processing your spouse or partner's application for permanent residence. You will also usually have to make humanitarian and compassionate arguments. If this is your situation, it's a good idea to get legal advice.

If you choose to withdraw your application, you won't get the $75 sponsorship fee back. You'll get all other fees back.

You’re accepted as a sponsor

If you're approved as a sponsor, IRCC will decide if your spouse or partner is eligible for permanent residence. IRCC will send your spouse or partner a letter with the application number.

After they get this letter, your spouse or partner can link their application to the online account if you're their designated representative. For more information about how to do this: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account/link-paper-online.html

Your spouse or partner will be asked to submit their:

  • medical exams
  • police certificates
  • biometrics

When the biometrics fee is paid, IRCC will send your spouse or partner a letter asking them to give their biometrics. Your spouse or partner then has 30 days to give their biometrics in person at their closest collection point. They must show the letter from IRCC when they give their biometrics.

To finish processing their application, your spouse or partner will have to send IRCC:

Inside Canada

Your spouse or partner must meet with an immigration officer to receive their Confirmation of Permanent Residence that says they have been approved to become a Canadian .

IRCC sends them a letter to schedule their appointment and tells them what documents to bring. The officer will make the final decision to allow your spouse or partner to stay in Canada as a permanent resident.

Refused applications

Your spouse or partner will get a letter that says why the application was refused.

You can't appeal a decision if you're sponsoring a spouse or partner who's inside Canada.

Hide this website