How do I stop a claim I filed using the Small Claims online service?

Because of COVID-19, the Small Claims Court has changed some of its processes. You can learn more in the question: How is Small Claims Court handling cases during COVID-19?

You might be able to stop a claim you made using the Small Claims Court e-filing service.

Stopping your claim is called discontinuing. You can only discontinue your claim online if the person or business you're suing has not filed a Defence.

If the has responded, you may be able to discontinue your claim in person at the courthouse using paper forms.

There is no fee to discontinue your claim, but you won't get a refund for fees you already paid.

Legal help

If you earn a low income, you may be able to get legal help from Pro Bono Ontario. They offer services out of some court locations in Toronto and Ottawa, and a legal advice hotline where you can get up to 30 minutes of free legal advice.

Hide this website