I have a disability and I was abused in the past. What can I do about it now?

2. Learn about making a court claim

You might also be able to sue your abuser in court. A court usually has the power to order the abuser to pay more compensation than the Victim Quick Reponse Program+ can give you.

If you were abused in a group home or institution, you might be able to sue the organization that was in charge of that place. If you were abused while getting services, you might be able to sue the organization the abuser worked for. If the organization is large, or part of the government, it might be able to pay even more compensation.

You can make several kinds of claims with a lawsuit in court. And there are different kinds of courts where you can make these claims. It is important to start your claim in the right court.

For example, if you want to sue for $35,000 or less, you should do this in Small Claims Court. If you want to sue for more than $35,000, you have to do this in Superior Court.

If other people were abused by the same person, or at the same place, you might be able to start a class action lawsuit. In a class action, a few people can sue for a large group.

There are deadlines for making claims, but you might be able to ask for more time.

Hide this website