I’m having trouble managing my debts. Where can I get help?
Question & AnswerI’m having trouble managing my debts. Where can I get help?
Talk to a Licensed Insolvency Trustee
Licensed Insolvency Trustees are the only people who can help you file for or file a . They will usually talk to you about your options for free.
- give you advice about your financial situation
- help you figure out what your and are worth
- talk to you about options other than bankruptcy
- help you decide whether to file for bankruptcy
- guide you through the filing a consumer proposal
- guide you through the bankruptcy process
If you decide to file for bankruptcy or to file a consumer proposal, a will prepare everything you need to do it. You will have to pay them for this service, or sell some of your assets to cover their fees.
If you file a consumer proposal the trustee’s fees will be taken out of the money you pay your creditors.
You can find a Licensed Insolvency Trustee through the government of Canada’s website or The Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals.