This is my first job in Canada. What do I need to work?

3. Find out if you can apply for a work permit

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has rules about who can apply for a work permit from inside Canada.

For example, you can apply from inside Canada if:

  • You're a refugee claimant whose claim has been referred to the Immigration and Refugee Board for a hearing.
  • You have a work permit or study permit, or you are here as the spouse or child of someone who has a work or study permit.
Hide this website