How do I apply for EI benefits?
Question & AnswerHow do I apply for EI benefits?
4. Look into other benefits and programs
Other EI benefits
You might be eligible for special benefits like:
- Sickness benefits if you are unable to work because of illness, injury, or quarantine.
- Maternity benefits if you are pregnant or have recently given birth.
- Parental benefits if you are a parent and are caring for a newborn child or a child you recently adopted.
- Compassionate care benefits if you need time off work to provide care or support to a family member who could die in the next six months.
- The family caregiver benefit for children if you need time off work to provide care or support to your critically ill child.
You might have to wait several weeks before you get a payment because EI applications can take a long time to process. If you need money while you wait, you might be able to get from Ontario Works (OW).
If you qualify, you might get financial assistance from OW for several weeks before you get your EI benefits.
- whether you're eligible for OW assistance
- the amount of assistance you get
When you start getting EI benefits, you might still qualify for assistance from OW if the amount you get from EI is less than your OW assistance.