What can I do if I am being harassed at work?

5. Get legal advice if you had to leave your job

If you have to leave your job because of harassment, that may be “”.

“Constructive dismissal” happens when your employer makes a fundamental change to your work situation and you don't agree or accept it. Because of this, your work or your conditions at work change so much that it's like you've been fired.

Your employer has to keep you safe from , just like they have to pay you for your work. If they don't, then that may be “constructive dismissal”.

If you've been fired or if you had to leave your job because of harassment, you should try to get legal advice.

A lawyer with experience in employment law can help by giving you advice about:

The Law Society Referral Service can give you the name of a lawyer or paralegal you can consult with for free, for up to 30 minutes.

JusticeNet is a program for Canadians with low or moderate incomes. It connects people with lawyers and paralegals who charge lower legal fees based on your income.

You could also contact the Workers’ Health & Safety Legal Clinic, which helps people with low incomes who are having health and safety problems at work.

If you've been injured or punished by your employer for complaining about harassment, you can also contact the Office of the Worker Adviser. They can give you information and legal advice if you don't have a .

Hide this website