What do I do to keep my workplace safe? What does my boss have to do?
Question & AnswerWhat do I do to keep my workplace safe? What does my boss have to do?
Know what you have to do
In general, you should act in a way that does not put you or other people in danger.
You must follow the safety policies in your workplace and follow the rules in the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA).
- telling your employer if you see anything that could hurt you or someone else
- properly using the safety equipment required for your job
- not doing anything that could hurt another worker
- acting in a safe and responsible way around dangerous equipment, materials, or situations
- telling your employer if you see anything that breaks the rules in the OHSA
You can get more information about your responsibilities from your health and safety representative or Joint Health and Safety Committee, or your or trade association.
If you have a specific question about your responsibilities at work, you can contact the Office of the Worker Adviser at 1-800-435-8980.
You can also ask the Ministry of Labour a question using the online Feedback form.