What do I do to keep my workplace safe? What does my boss have to do?Updated May 19
Question & AnswerWhat do I do to keep my workplace safe? What does my boss have to do?
Know what you have to do
In your workplace, you should not do anything that puts you or other people in danger.
You must follow the safety policies in your workplace and follow the rules in the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA). This includes:
- telling your employer if you see anything that could hurt you or someone else
- properly using the safety equipment required for your job
- not doing anything that could hurt another worker
- acting safely and responsibly around dangerous equipment, materials, or situations
- telling your employer if you see anything that breaks the rules in the OHSA
You can get more information about your responsibilities from your health and safety representative or Joint Health and Safety Committee, or your or trade association.
If you have a specific question about your responsibilities at work, you can call the Office of the Worker Adviser at 1-800-435-8980.
You can also call the Workers Health & Safety Centre at 1-888-869-7950 or send an email using their online form.