What happens if I call the police about my abusive partner?

3. Get help if you are hurt

If you are physically hurt, you can also ask the police to call an ambulance or take you to a hospital, a doctor that you know and trust, or a Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Treatment Centre (SADVTC) if there is one in your area. A SADVTC is a hospital department that helps victims of domestic and sexual assault.

You can also go to a centre on your own. You don't have to call the police first.

Staff can provide you with medical treatment and photograph and document your injuries. They ask for your consent before they do these things. You don't have to agree to everything they ask. For example, you may agree to staff taking notes about your injuries but not agree to them taking photographs.

This information can be used as evidence in criminal charges against your partner, or SADVTC can keep it in case you need it in the future.

Staff at a SADVTC can also help you even if you don't have any physical injuries, or don't think that you've been physically hurt. A SADVTC offers 24-hour services and follow-up care, crisis counselling, and referrals to shelters. They also offer legal and financial help.

Hide this website