How do I get a health card for my baby?

3. If your baby was born outside Canada

If your baby was born outside Canada, you have to apply for an OHIP card for your baby in person at a ServiceOntario centre.

You always need to bring all of these documents:

  • a completed Registration for Ontario Health Coverage (form 0265-82)
  • a document that shows your baby's immigration status to prove they are eligible for OHIP.
  • a document to prove you live in Ontario, such as an income tax assessment or property tax bill
  • a document to prove your identity, such as a passport, permanent resident card, driver's licence, or credit card

Usually, there is a 3-month waiting period for Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) coverage. This waiting period doesn't apply for certain people. For example, eligible adopted children who are younger than 16 years.

Hide this website