Can I have my Small Claims Court trial in French?

2. Ask for bilingual proceedings

You must ask for bilingual proceedings at Small Claims Court. The easiest way to do this is to file your first document in French. To do this, you could:

You could also:

  • ask the court for bilingual proceedings at a court appearance
  • file a requisition form or written statement, saying you want bilingual proceedings

When you file a requisition form asking for bilingual proceedings, you must serve it on all parties. This must happen no later than 7 days before the first hearing, unless you're the plaintiff. If you're the plaintiff, you must serve the requisition form when you file your claim.

Hide this website