Can I have my Small Claims Court trial in French?
Question & AnswerCan I have my Small Claims Court trial in French?
2. Ask for bilingual proceedings
You must ask for bilingual proceedings at Small Claims Court. The easiest way to do this is to file your first document in French. To do this, you could:
- file your Plaintiff Claim form in French, if you're the plaintiff starting the court case
- file your Defence form in French, if you're the defendant responding to the court case
You could also:
- ask the court for bilingual proceedings at a court appearance
- file a requisition form or written statement, saying you want bilingual proceedings
When you file a requisition form asking for bilingual proceedings, you must serve it on all parties. This must happen no later than 7 days before the first hearing, unless you're the plaintiff. If you're the plaintiff, you must serve the requisition form when you file your claim.