3. Get proof to show why you quit or refused a job

Beware of scams

People have been getting phone calls with a pre-recorded message telling them their Ontario Works account has been deleted.

This is a scam to trick you into sharing your personal information. If you get a call like that, hang up the phone. You can report these calls to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501.

If looking for work is one of the activities in your Participation Agreement, Ontario Works (OW) can reduce your or cut it off if you're not trying:

  • to find work, and
  • to keep any work that you have.

But this should not happen if OW thinks you have a good reason. OW sometimes calls this “reasonable cause” or “cause”. See Step 2 for examples.

Giving proof to OW

If you quit or refuse to take a job for health reasons, you need to give your OW worker a letter from your doctor.

You'll also have to show your OW worker a Record of Employment (ROE) and any written notice that you get from an employer.

Make sure to tell your OW worker if you take any steps against your employer, such as:

Getting help

You may want to get legal advice to help you decide what steps to take if you quit or refuse to take a job.

A community legal clinic may also be able to help you collect that you'll need to show OW.

Hide this website