The WSIB knows I’ve been injured at work. What happens next?

To make a claim for benefits you should report the injury or accident to the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) by filling out the Worker's Report of Injury/Disease (Form 6). You should do this even if your doctor or employer has reported the injury to the WSIB already because it allows you to describe the accident from your point of view.

You should do this as soon as possible and no later than 6 months after your injury or accident.

When the WSIB finds out about your injury, they open what's called a “claim”.

Your claim number and contact person

Within a week of reporting your injury or accident, you should get a letter from the WSIB. This letter will give you:

  • a
  • the name of the person who will be looking after your claim

If you don't get a letter, contact the WSIB and ask about your claim.

Any time you contact the WSIB, they'll ask for your claim number. So make sure to keep it where you can easily find it.

It's also a good idea to keep notes of all your conversations with the WSIB.

Your file

The WSIB keeps a file with all of the information about your claim.

You can write to the WSIB and ask for a copy of your file, at any time. See Step 3 below.

Hide this website