How do I appeal to the Social Security Tribunal about Old Age Security?

This question applies to you if:

  • you got a decision about your from Service Canada, and
  • you asked Service Canada to reconsider that decision and do not agree with their second decision.

Read about asking Service Canada to reconsider in Can I appeal a decision about Old Age Security? 

If you do not agree with Service Canada's decision, you can appeal to the  (SST). You must do this within 90 days of getting the decision from Service Canada.

You can also appeal to the SST if Service Canada refused to accept your request for a reconsideration because you sent it in late.

The SST is separate from Service Canada and has the power to make a different decision.

Get legal help

Appealing a decision is not easy. Try to get legal help.

If you cannot afford a lawyer, contact a community legal clinic. They may be able to help you or refer you to someone who can.

Work with a navigator

If you do not have a lawyer, the SST gives you a navigator. This is someone who helps you through your appeal process.

They cannot give legal advice or speak at your hearing. But they can answer your questions and help you prepare.

The appeal process

The SST has:

All appeals start at the General Division. On their website, the SST explains how the process works.

Hide this website