A collection agency called about a debt I don’t owe. What can I do?
Question & AnswerA collection agency called about a debt I don’t owe. What can I do?
2. Talk to the collection agency or your creditor
If you don’t agree that you owe the money, the first step is to talk to the . Sometimes, you can talk to them on the phone and explain that:
- you don’t owe the money, or
- the information they have is wrong.
Explain your situation to the collection agency. For example, you might:
- never have owed the money
- have already paid back your , who is the person or company you owed the money to
- owe less money than what the collection agency says you owe
If you already paid the debt, make sure that you also talk to the creditor.