I hired a credit repair company. What can I do if I’m having problems?
Question & AnswerI hired a credit repair company. What can I do if I’m having problems?
Decide if you can cancel the contract
If you received a copy of your agreement within the last 10 days, you have the right to cancel it. You do not have to give a reason. This is called a 10-day .
You can still cancel it within one year of signing it if:
- the didn't give you a copy of the agreement
- the agreement does not include the information required by law
You must send a letter to the company if you want to cancel the agreement within one year. In your letter, include:
- your name and address
- the date
- the name of the company
- their address
- the date of your contract
- other important details
- the fact that you want to cancel, and what else you want to them to do
Clearly tell the company how you want to resolve the problem. For example, ask for your money back. Be sure to include:
- your contact information
- the date when you want to hear from them (3 weeks is reasonable)
- copies (keep the originals) of receipts, invoices, contracts, or other important documents
Make sure you sign and date your letter. Keep a copy of it, and write down the date you sent it, and whether you mailed, emailed, or faxed it.
If you do not write a letter, it can be difficult to prove that you cancelled the contract. Make sure you have a copy of the letter, in case the company says you did not cancel the contract.