Can I get EI if I quit my job?
Question & AnswerCan I get EI if I quit my job?
1. Try to fix the problem before you quit
If you have not quit your job yet, you should first try all other reasonable options to fix the problem. What is reasonable depends on your situation. For example:
- talk to your employer
- talk to your manager or representative
- look at your or employment contract to see if there is a process for solving your problem that you should follow
- ask for new duties, a transfer to another department, or to work under a different manager
- look at the laws about health and safety at work, employment standards or human rights to see if your rights are being violated and discuss this with your employer or union representative
It's a good idea to make notes about how you tried to fix the problem and why it did not work.
It's also a good idea to talk to a lawyer and to look for another job before you quit.