I have mobility issues. Does my landlord have to make adjustments to the rental unit for me?

3. Understand undue hardship

If the building adjustments you need would cause your landlord , then your landlord doesn't have to make the adjustments. Undue hardship is a legal . It means that your landlord cannot afford to pay for the building adjustments you need, or that the adjustments would cause a significant safety issue.

Cost of the building adjustments

Your landlord cannot refuse building adjustments just because they cost money. If your landlord cannot afford to pay for the adjustments, they must look for help to pay for them. For example, government funding or private grants that help pay for renovations to help people with disabilities.

You're also expected to help find money to help pay for the adjustments.

After seriously trying to make things work for you, if your landlord truly cannot afford to pay for the adjustments you need, then they can refuse due to undue hardship. If your situation becomes a case at the , your landlord has to prove that they really can't afford the adjustments.

Safety issues

You landlord can only claim undue hardship due to safety if the safety issue is significant. They cannot claim undue hardship if the adjustments you need to the building create a small safety issue. For example, the landlord cannot reasonably say that adding an automatic door opener would give more time for burglars to get in the front door because the door is open longer.

If you're the only person whose safety will be at risk, then you can talk to the landlord about accepting responsibility for your own safety. Sometimes this is known as waiving liability. Your landlord may require you to sign a legal document that says you agree to take responsibility for your own safety.

Hide this website