4. Get legal help

If your landlord's refusing to make the adjustments you need, think about getting legal help to work out a solution.

Here are some organizations that work in the area of human rights.

Canadian Centre for Housing Rights (CCHR)

The Canadian Centre for Housing Rights (CCHR) is an organization that works with tenants mainly by telephone and email. Their staff are not lawyers or paralegals.

CCHR's human rights services include helping tenants who:

  • need for a human rights reason, such as a
  • want general information about human rights or the of Ontario

Human Rights Legal Support Centre

You can contact the Human Rights Legal Support Centre (HRLSC) to get free legal advice and support. The HRLSC will let you know if you have a strong case for the Human Rights . The amount of support they give you depends on your case, the type of issue you're facing, and your personal situation.

The HRLSC can sometimes speak to your landlord on your behalf to help resolve the your issue without submitting an to the Tribunal. Visit the HRLSC website to see how they can help, or call 1-866-625-5179.

Community legal clinics

If your income is low enough, legal clinics in Ontario provide free legal services for human rights cases related to housing. To find the legal clinic in your area, enter your postal code on the Legal Aid Ontario website.

Pro Bono Ontario

Pro Bono Ontario offers free legal advice for tenants who are facing legal issues. Call 1-855-255-7256.

Lawyer Referral Service

Many lawyers work on cases. For help finding a lawyer, you can use the Law Society's online Referral Service or call 1-855-947-5255.

Ontario Legal Information Centre

The Ontario Legal Information Centre offers a free 30-minute meeting with a lawyer to anyone in Ontario. You can talk to a lawyer by telephone, in any area of law, and in English or French. You may have to leave a message, and a lawyer will call you back.


JusticeNet is a not-for-profit organization that can help people find legal services when their income is too high for legal aid and too low to afford legal fees. Their website has a list of lawyers, paralegals, and mediators who charge reduced fees based on your income and the size of your family. You must register and pay a small fee to use their services.

Hide this website