2. Ask Service Canada to reconsider

In a , Service Canada reviews your application for  disability benefits. They also look at any new information that you give them.

A different person does the review. It's not the same one who made the original decision.

Get legal help

Asking for a reconsideration is not easy. Try to get legal help.

If you cannot afford a lawyer, a community legal clinic may be able to help you.

How to ask for a reconsideration

You must ask for a reconsideration in writing, within 90 days of getting the decision letter from Service Canada.

You ask for a reconsideration by:

CLEO has a Guided Pathway that helps you fill out your reconsideration form.

If you write a letter

Make sure to include:

  • your name, address, phone number, and  (SIN)
  • the reason why you disagree with the decision and want a reconsideration
  • any new or extra information that Service Canada does not have that could change their decision

Sign and date the letter. Send it to the address on the decision letter that you got from Service Canada.

Send the request as soon as you can

Even if you do not have all your supporting documents, send in your reconsideration request as soon as possible. You can send the other documents anytime before the 90-day deadline.

If Service Canada wants new information

Sometimes, Service Canada wants new information for the reconsideration. For example, you might need to have a medical examination.

Service Canada choses the doctor and pays for any costs. This includes the cost of the exam and your travel expenses if the doctor's office is not where you live.

If you miss the deadline

If you miss the 90-day deadline, you can still ask for a reconsideration. But you must also ask Service Canada to extend the deadline. This is called an extension of time.

You can do this by filling out section 2 of the Request for Reconsideration form. You say that you missed the deadline and explain why you're late, for example, maybe you were in the hospital.

Then Service Canada decides whether to accept your late request. If they do not accept it, you can appeal that decision to the Social Security Tribunal (SST).

Read more in How do I appeal to the Social Security Tribunal about CPP disability benefits?

Hide this website