What should I do if I get hurt or injured at work?

There are things you should do if you get hurt or injured at work.

These include:

Get medical help

If your injury is serious, the first thing to do is get or medical treatment.

If you have to go to the doctor or hospital on the day you're injured, your employer should pay for any travel costs.

If your injury does not go away with first aid treatment, you should get medical treatment. This could be going to your family doctor, a hospital, or a medical clinic.

You need to:

  • tell the doctor exactly what happened and all of your symptoms
  • make sure the doctor writes down what you say
  • ask the doctor to send a Health Professional’s Report to report the injury to the WSIB

Tell your supervisor

If you have an accident or get hurt at work, even if your injury is minor, you should tell your supervisor as soon as possible.

Your employer may have rules that you have to follow. If you don't know what they are, ask your supervisor.

And if you're concerned about your safety, tell your supervisor.

Keep notes of what happened

You should make detailed notes of the accident and keep them in a safe place. It's a good idea to make notes soon after the accident and include dates and names of anyone who saw the accident.

Sometimes, your employer might not agree that you got hurt at work, but you won't find out until later. So you will want to have good notes to remind you exactly what happened.

Make a workers’ compensation claim

You may be able to make a claim for workers’ compensation benefits.

Workers' compensation benefits are payments for injuries or diseases that are related to the work you were doing. Workers' compensation is paid by the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB).

Hide this website