You are here

How do I give notice to end my fixed-term lease?

How do I give notice to end my fixed-term lease?
Learn more about this topic
CLEO (Community Legal Education Ontario / Éducation juridique communautaire Ontario)
Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB)
Centre for Equality Rights in Accommodation (CERA)
Federation of Metro Tenants' Associations

Was this information helpful?

Tell us why or why not

By submitting this form, you accept the Privacy statement.

How do I give notice to end my fixed-term lease?
This question has an answer and 4 steps
August 31, 2015

In most situations you have to tell your landlord in writing that you want to end your tenancy and move out. This is called giving notice. If you don't give proper notice, you could end up owing more rent.

For your notice to be legal, you must:

  • choose the right date to end your tenancy, which is called the termination date
  • include all the necessary information in writing
  • give the notice to your landlord on time

Ending a fixed-term tenancy

You have a fixed-term tenancy if you have an agreement to live in a place for at least a certain length of time. The agreement is often called a lease, and the length of time is called the term. The most common term is one year, but it can be shorter or longer.

Fixed-term tenancies are usually in writing but they do not have to be.

If you have a fixed-term tenancy, you must give your landlord at least 60 days' notice, and your termination date must be the last day of the term.


You can leave before the end of the term and with less notice if:

Parlez Français