What rules do collection agencies have to follow and what are my rights?
Question & AnswerWhat rules do collection agencies have to follow and what are my rights?
4. Find out who a collection agency can contact
A can contact your family, friends, or other people who know you to get your:
- home address
- telephone number
But the law says that this is the only information they can contact these people about. If a collection agency contacts these people for any other reasons, the collection agency is breaking the law.
The law also says that a collection agency can’t tell people things that are false or misleading about you.
Contacting your employer
Usually, a collection agency can’t contact your employer. But the law says they can do this if:
- your employer guaranteed to pay the debt, and the collection agency is calling for payment of the debt
- you gave the collection agency permission to contact your employer
- the collection agency calls only once for the purpose of confirming your employment, business title, and/or business address
The collection agency can also contact your employer if:
- you signed a
- they have a court order that says they can contact your employer
Other people a collection agency can contact
A collection agency can contact:
- your or co-
- someone you told the collection agency it was okay to contact
If your family member, employer, or friend is a guarantor or co-debtor, the collection agency is allowed to call them to collect on the debt.