How do I make a claim to the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario?
Question & AnswerHow do I make a claim to the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario?
1. Find out if Ontario’s laws apply
Most employers, landlords, representatives, and providers in Ontario must follow the Ontario Human Rights Code (Code). The Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario deals with these kinds of complaints.
There are some situations where some or all of the Code does not apply. Here are some examples:
- Some industries are covered by federal laws made by the Government of Canada. These industries include banks, airlines, some trucking businesses, and broadcasting. Employers in these industries must follow the Canadian Human Rights Act.
- Some companies have a special hiring program to try to make their workforce more diverse by including more people from a variety of racial communities.
- Some housing providers have facilities designed to help people protected by the Human Rights Code (for example, people with certain kinds of disabilities).
- Some housing providers have facilities that are just for seniors.