5. Learn what to do if your TRP expires

You cannot extend the (TRP) that you already have.

But if you want to stay in Canada after your TRP expires, you can apply for another permit. To do this, use the online application form called Applying to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada.

You don't want to lose your status in Canada before you have a new TRP. So make sure that you apply well before your current TRP expires.

You must explain and prove why you need to stay in Canada longer. See Step 2.

In your TRP application, make sure that:

  • the information matches what you said in your first TRP application, and
  • you explain any differences.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will compare your applications.

What you must include

You should give IRCC any new information you have about why you were .

For example, you might have:

  • new about your medical condition
  • new documents that are related to your criminal convictions
  • information about major changes to your financial situation

You must also give IRCC all of the following:

  • 2 passport-sized photographs of you
  • a copy of your passport or other travel document
  • a copy of your current TRP and any other document you have that was issued by IRCC, for example, a work or study permit
  • proof of how you will pay for your stay in Canada and how you will pay for your travel when you must leave Canada

You also need to include documents that show anything new about your inadmissibility or about you not following Canada's laws. For example, this could be a valid passport if your passport was expired in the past, proof that your financial situation has improved, or a record suspension.

You can apply to extend a study permit or work permit at the same time as you apply for another TRP.

Hide this website