What can I do if I see abuse in a retirement home?

3. Report the abuse

If someone is being hurt or threatened, call 911.

If it's not an emergency but you think a crime is being committed, you can call your local police station. You can also report a crime without giving your name through Crime Stoppers. Call them at 1-800-222-8477. Or, you can make a report using their website.

Making a report

Residents can report abuse but the law says they do not have to.

If you're a worker or visitor, you must report abuse to the Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority. If you're a visitor or work at a , you can also report abuse to the management of the home.

Visitors can report abuse by phone or letter. Make notes of who you spoke to, what was said, and what the retirement home said they would do.

Operators of homes must:

The law says that a retirement home cannot punish its staff members for reporting abuse.

How to report to the Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority

To report abuse to the Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority call 1-855-275-7472. You don't have to give your name.

But give as much as information as you can. This makes it easier for your report to be investigated. You have to give:

  • the name of the home
  • the address of the home, including the town or city it's in
  • a description of what happened, including whether it happened once or is an ongoing problem
  • for a specific event, when and where it happened, for example, inside or outside the home
  • who was involved

After you make a report

The Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority must look into all reports of abuse. They must send an inspector to the home if the report is about harm or risk of harm to a resident.

After you make a report:

  • the works to make sure that the home is following the laws that apply to retirement homes
  • the police could be called to investigate if it looks like a crime has been committed
  • the home could be inspected

If you give your name, address, and telephone number, an employee from the Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority will contact you if they need more information.

If you don't give your name and contact information:

  • the employee will pass your report to an inspector, who will follow up
  • the inspector won't be able to contact you later to let you know what happened
Hide this website