What can I buy from a door-to-door salesperson?
Question & AnswerWhat can I buy from a door-to-door salesperson?
2. Read your contract
When you buy something from a door-to-door salesperson, the seller must put the agreement in writing for you to sign, and they must give you a copy of it. The written agreement must include all of the following information:
- the seller's name, telephone number, and address
- your name and address
- an accurate description of the product or service you're buying, renting, leasing, or financing
- the total cost of each item
- the total amount you must pay, when and how you must pay, and what currency that amounts are listed in if it is not Canadian dollars
- when and where the product will be delivered or when the services will be provided, how they will be installed, and when they will be completed
- a list of your legal rights as a consumer and an explanation of any rights you have to cancel, return, exchange, or get a refund
If your written agreement does not have this information, you can cancel it at any time within one year after you made the agreement.
Prescribed products and services
There are different rules for what information must be in the contract for a prescribed product or service.
The seller must put a cover page on the front of the contract. The cover page tells you about some of your rights. The cover page will also:
- ask you to confirm that you invited the seller to come into your home
- tell you that you can cancel the contract within 10 days for any reason (this is called the cooling-off period)
- remind you to review the contract before signing it
If the contract is signed on or after May 1, 2018, it must also include:
- details about any other contracts that you have with the same seller
- a guarantee that the item will work for the whole term of the contract
- a statement about whether the product is new, used, or reconditioned
- an itemized list of any additional charges like delivery, installation, removal, or late payment fees, and the amount of those charges, including taxes and
- how to cancel the contract and any cancellation fees
Understand your agreement
Make sure you understand the contract before you sign it. Ask the seller questions if there are things you do not understand.
Ask questions like:
- How long is the contract for?
- What are the payment terms?
- Will the contract be automatically renewed?
- When and how can I cancel the contract?
- Are there any cancellation fees or other added costs?
- Is there a ?
If the seller promises you something that is not in the contract, ask them to add it to the contract. Otherwise it will be very hard for you to prove what they promised.