What can I do if I’m not happy with my car repairs?
Question & AnswerWhat can I do if I’m not happy with my car repairs?
Talk to the repair shop
If you have a problem with a repair, you should first talk to the repair shop about it.
It is a good idea to write your complaint down in a letter and to keep a copy of it for yourself. You can use the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services’ sample letter, or write your own.
Make sure your letter includes the following information:
- your name and address
- the date
- the name of the repair shop and their address
- the date you contacted them or authorized the repair
- the work you had done
- the price you paid
- the reasons why you disagree with the charges
- specific instructions about how you want to solve the problem. For example, ask for a refund, return, etc.
- the date by which you want a response from them (3 weeks is reasonable)
When you send you letter be sure to include:
- your evidence, like copies, not originals, of receipts, invoices, contracts, or other relevant documents
- your signature
Make sure you keep a copy of your letter and your registered mail receipt so that you have proof that the repair shop got it.
Keep your letter clear and short.