3. Consider other types of insurance

Disability insurance

You may have insurance through your work. You must tell the insurance company that you were hurt at work and that you're claiming benefits.

Most insurance companies will not let you get money from them and from the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) for the same injury. This is because insurance companies will only cover non-work related injuries or disabilities, and if the WSIB accepts your claim it means your injury is work-related. 

But until the WSIB accepts your claim, it is not officially work related, so you should be able to make a claim with the insurance company while you wait to hear back from the WSIB.

 If your claim is approved by the insurance company, and is later approved by the WSIB, the insurance company will probably make you sign an “assignment of benefits” form. This means that when you get your workers' compensation benefits from the WSIB, the WSIB will probably take money out of your payments to pay back the insurance company.

Sometimes it's hard to tell if the WSIB has done this. If the WSIB does not pay back the insurance company, you'll probably have to do this.

Other insurance

You might have other types of insurance that will cover your bills while you're injured. For example, you might have insurance on your mortgage, credit cards, car loan, or other personal loans.

If you have this type of insurance, your monthly loan payments might be made for you or delayed until you can start paying them.

Hide this website