How and when must I report a workplace injury or accident?

5. Send in your Form 6

If you used the e-Form 6, you send the form electronically once you've filled it out. When you do this, you get a confirmation number from the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB).

If you filled out a print copy of the Worker's Report of Injury/Disease (Form 6), it's best to fax it to the WSIB or you can mail it. Fax and mailing information for the WSIB is on the form.

Giving a copy to your employer

You must give a copy of your Form 6 to your employer.

When your employer finds out about your injury, they must send an Employer’s Report of Injury/Disease Form 7 to the WSIB within 3 business days of learning about your injury or accident.

Opening a claim file

Once the WSIB gets a Form 6 from you, a Form 7 from your employer, or a Health Professional's Report (Form 8), they open a claim file for you.

The WSIB should also send you a letter telling you what your is. Any time you contact the WSIB, they'll ask for your claim number. So make sure to keep it where you can easily find it.

If you don't get this letter within 1 week of reporting your accident, contact the WSIB to find out why.

Getting a decision from the WSIB

The WSIB can take 12 weeks or more to decide a claim. They must send you their decision in writing.

If you don't agree with the decision, you can appeal. The process is started by submitting an Intent to Object Form.

The decision letter from the WSIB tells you:

  • how to get an Intent to Object Form from the Board website or by telephone and
  • the deadline to submit the Intent to Object Form, which is usually 6 months from the date of the WSIB decision but sometimes as short as 30 days. The WSIB takes these deadlines very seriously.
Hide this website