5. Find a temporary solution

You usually have to wait several weeks or months before the (LTB) can hear your case. And even after an LTB hearing, there is no guarantee that the problem will be fixed quickly.

If you can't stay in your place, you might have to find somewhere else to stay until the problem is fixed. You might have friends or relatives you can stay with for a little while. Or, if you belong to a faith community or similar organization, you could ask for help there.

If the problem is with meals or care services, you can try to get these services from a different source while you wait for your LTB hearing.

If you have to pay for things like temporary accommodation or meals, make sure you keep all your receipts. If the LTB finds that these expenses were reasonable and were caused by your landlord's actions, the LTB can make your landlord pay you back for the expenses.

If you can't find a temporary solution, call 211 to ask about housing shelters and other services in your area.

The risk of more problems

Your landlord shutting off services or interfering with them on purpose might mean that they are willing to break the law rather than dealing with you reasonably. If you decide to keep living there, you might be at risk of other problems or emergencies happening in the future.

Hide this website